Green Chile Chicken Chili Recipe
The prep work for this chili is easy thanks to several pantry staples. It’s loaded with shredded chicken and beans. The spicy heat can be tamed a bit by cool sour cream. —Fred Lockwood, Plano, Texas
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (14 ounces each)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 jars (16 ounces each) salsa verde
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream and crushed tortilla chips
- 1. Place the chicken, onions, peppers, jalapenos and chilies in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour salsa over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred chicken with two forks, discarding skin and bones; return meat to slow cooker. Stir in the beans, sour cream and cilantro; heat through. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Freeze option: Before adding sour cream, cilantro and toppings, cool chili. Freeze chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Stir in sour cream and cilantro. Serve with toppings if desired. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1-1/3 cups (calculated without optional toppings) equals 320 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 1,187 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Reviews for Green Chile Chicken Chili
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC