Green Beans with Pecans Recipe
“I collect cookbooks from all over the world and love to try new recipes for my husband or for entertaining friends and family, which we love to do.” Pecans, a splash of orange and maple syrup make this side dish something extra-special! Sharon Delaney-Chronis – South Milwaukee, WI
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage or 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small heavy skillet, melt butter. Add pecans; cook over medium heat until toasted, about 4 minutes. Add syrup and salt; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until pecans are glossy. Spread on foil to cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute shallots in butter until tender; stir in the flour, orange peel and cayenne. Add the remaining ingredients; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover; cook and stir 4-5 minutes longer or until beans are crisp-tender. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup with 2 tablespoons pecans equals 192 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC