Green Beans with Bacon
"MY MOTHER was from North Carolina, and she preferred green pole beans to green snap beans. I've found that either is delicious in this recipe, as long as long as the beans are fresh. Mother also brought with her from North Carolina the custom of chopping and 'mounding' the beans before serving—a touch that makes them even more special."
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 bacon strips
- Pepper and seasoned salt to taste
- In a covered saucepan, cook beans in a small amount of water for
- 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook
- bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon
- and set aside. Add beans to drippings; sprinkle with pepper and
- seasoned salt. Heat through. Add crumbled bacon and toss. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 118 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.