Green Beans with Bacon and Tomatoes Recipe
If needed, the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to serve larger crowds. Garlic salt can be substituted for the seasoned salt if you like.—Cathy Bell, Joplin, Missouri
- 1 package (14 ounces) thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cut green beans
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon seasoned pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender.
- 2. In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine green beans, tomatoes, brown sugar, pepper, salt, bacon and onion. Cook, covered, on low 4 hours. Stir in red beans. Cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup).
3/4 cup equals 162 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 538 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Green Beans with Bacon and Tomatoes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC