Green Beans with Bacon and Onion Recipe
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1. Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion and green pepper until tender.
- 2. Drain beans; set aside. In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into the onion mixture. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the beans; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 84 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 223 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.