Green Beans with Bacon
"My green beans get a lift from bacon and onion," says Linda Rock, explaining how she accents a favorite everyday vegetable. A dash of nutmeg adds interest to the simple sauce. Linda fixes this much-requested side dish in her Stratford, Wisconsin kitchen.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a
- nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon
- drippings. In the drippings, saute onion and green pepper until
- Drain beans; set aside. In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until
- smooth; stir into the onion mixture. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add
- the beans; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 84 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 223 mg sodium,