Green Beans Supreme Recipe
As Heather Campbell puts it, “Here’s a nice substitute to plain green bean casserole.” The Lawrence, Kansas field editor prepares a well-seasoned cheese sauce to add zip to this familiar dish.
- 4 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cut green beans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1. Cook green beans according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; whisk in the flour, salt, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and mustard until blended.
- 2. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese.
- 3. Drain beans; gently fold into cheese sauce. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over beans. Yield: 12-16 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC