Here’s a nice substitute to plain green bean casserole. The well-seasoned cheese sauce adds extra zip to this familiar dish. —Heather Campbell, Lawrence, Kansas
Featured In: 62 Christmas Potluck Sides for 12 or More
- 4 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cut green beans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Cook green beans according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; whisk in the flour, salt, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and mustard until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese.
- Drain beans; gently fold into cheese sauce. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over beans. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Green Beans Supreme in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p7
Reviews for Green Beans Supreme
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 17, 2014
"Delicious side dish and so easy to make. We used fresh green beans instead of frozen."