Green Beans Supreme Recipe
As Heather Campbell puts it, “Here’s a nice substitute to plain green bean casserole.” The Lawrence, Kansas field editor prepares a well-seasoned cheese sauce to add zip to this familiar dish.
- 4 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cut green beans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Cook green beans according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; whisk in the flour, salt, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and mustard until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese.
- Drain beans; gently fold into cheese sauce. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over beans. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Green Beans Supreme in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p7
Reviews for Green Beans Supreme(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review