Green Beans German Style Recipe
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1. Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, mustard and water until smooth. Stir into onion. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in brown sugar and vinegar. Add the beans; heat thought. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 3-4 servings.
1 each: 160 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Green Beans German Style
"This was really good! It was a nice new way to have green beans. We made them for our own little Oktoberfest and it went great with the brats and sauerkraut we bought from a German deli."
"Just like grandma's!"
"What a yummy way to make beans.... I didn't have any bacon but it tasted good anyways!"
"This is such a great recipe. I was looking for a recipe to make green beans taste better and thanks to you, I found it. I will definately make this again"
"Excellent recipe. I made this with grilled halibut."