Green Beans German Style Recipe
My mother-in-law introduced me to this quick down-home dish almost 50 years ago when I was a new bride. The tender green beans are topped with diced bacon and a classic sweet-sour glaze. Guests always ask for the recipe. -Vivian Steers, Central Islip, New York
- 1 pound fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1. Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, mustard and water until smooth. Stir into onion. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in brown sugar and vinegar. Add the beans; heat thought. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 3-4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 160 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 280 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Green Beans German Style
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC