This soup has been passed down for generations beginning with my great-grandmother. I make it often, especially when I can use homegrown beans, carrots, onions and potatoes.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 1 sprig fresh savory or 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Before serving, remove bay leaf and parsley and savory sprigs. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Green Bean Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p21
Reviews for Green Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review