Green Bean Mushroom Pie Recipe
Fresh green bean flavor stands out in this pretty lattice-topped pie. A flaky golden crust holds the savory bean, mushroom and cream cheese filling. It tastes wonderfully different every time I make it depending on the variety of mushroom I use. -Tara Walworth, Maple Park, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 6 cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onions and beans in remaining butter for 18-20 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Add the thyme, salt, pepper, cream cheese, milk and mushrooms. Cook and stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, dill and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream to form a soft dough.
- 3. Divide dough in half. On a well-floured surface, roll out one portion to fit a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge.
- 4. Pour green bean mixture into crust. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edge.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat the egg and cream; brush over lattice top. Bake at 400° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 503 calories, 37 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 587 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC