Green Bean Mushroom Pie Recipe
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 6 cups cut fresh green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onions and beans in remaining butter for 18-20 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Add the thyme, salt, pepper, cream cheese, milk and mushrooms. Cook and stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, dill and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream to form a soft dough.
- 3. Divide dough in half. On a well-floured surface, roll out one portion to fit a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate; trim pastry even with edge.
- 4. Pour green bean mixture into crust. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edge.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat the egg and cream; brush over lattice top. Bake at 400° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 slice: 503 calories, 37g fat (23g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 587mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein
Reviews for Green Bean Mushroom Pie
"This has replaced our green bean casserole on Thanksgiving. It is a little time consuming but it is hands down the best! My husband took one bite and insisted I make it every year. I can't wait to make it again!!"
"I love this pie. I made it several years ago when it first appeared in your magazine. I just get a craving for it every once in awhile. So different! Yummy!"
"I love this pie, I get a craving for it every once in a while. I made it when it appeared in you magazine many years ago."
"This is sooooo great I make it as often as I canIf you haven't tried this you have no idea what you are missing"