Green Bean Fritters
A few years ago during bean season, a friend of mine shared this recipe with me. It is now a must-have at our place every summer.—Sharon Dyck, Roxton Falls, Quebec
10 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 green onions
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut green tops from onions (save white portion for another use). Cut
- tops into narrow strips; soften in boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Drain and rinse in cold water. Wrap each strip round a bundle of
- eight green beans; gently tie a knot.
- Place 1/2 in. of water in a large skillet; add bean bundles and 1/2
- teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 8-10 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Drain on paper towels.