Green 'n' Gold Egg Bake Recipe
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups (24 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle 1/4 cup bread crumbs into a greased 8-in.-square baking dish. Bake 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine spinach, cottage cheese, Romano cheese, three eggs and remaining crumbs. Spread over the baked crumbs. Beat remaining eggs; pour over spinach mixture.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 9 servings.
One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with fat-free cottage cheese and egg substitute) equals 181 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 808 g sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.