Greek-Style Squash Recipe
- 2 small yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 2 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place the yellow squash, zucchini, tomato, olives and onion on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 17x18 in.). Combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic salt, oregano and pepper; drizzle over vegetables. Fold foil around mixture and seal tightly.
- 2. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
- 3. Transfer vegetables to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 80 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 479 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Greek-Style Squash
"Great flavor! Easy to make. I also baked in a covered dish along side the main course."
"Fantastic recipe! We substituted feta for the parmesan; it felt more Greek. Made it in the oven and it was delicious---definitely a keeper!!! Thanks!"
"Made this over the weekend. I did it in the oven and it turned great!. I covred it with foil and baked it for about 20/25 mintus @ 350. I also added some mozarella cheese."
"The amount of time suggested was way too long. The vegetables ended up very mushy and rather bland. I may try again and cook in the microwave as others have suggested or on the grill or 20 - 25 minutes."
"I received this recipe via Facebook earlier today and had to try it out tonight. I used halved cherry tomatoes because I thought they'd hold up a little better during cooking. I could have grilled them 25 minutes and they would have been perfect. Tasty, easy, high on flavor and low on calories and carbs. I will definitely make this again. This would be a great side dish for those who are diabetic or who are counting calories."
"I loved this, but my preferred method of cooking was in the microwave, and then sprinkling shredded parmesan cheese on top. I also used large slices/chunks of squash, rather than the thin slices because I don't like mushy veggies. They were a little mushy/soft from grilling, but cooked in the microwave, they were PERFECT!"
"I made a large batch of this; cooked one batch on the grill as the recipe calls for - the squash was quite soft and over done but still quite tasty! The second batch I microwaved on my "fresh vegetable" setting and then topped with shredded parmesan cheese - OUTSTANDING!!! The veggies were perfect - tender but not mushy in the least and the flavor was fantastic."
"This is one of my favorite go-to vegetable recipes. Everyone loves it. I put the packet on the grill or in the oven. Try substituting some crumbled Feta cheese for the Parmesan and use Kalamata olives -- it's great!"