- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons plus 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Grease 10-in. fluted tube pan with shortening; lightly coat with 2 tablespoons flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugars, oil, buttermilk, eggs and extracts until well blended. Combine the remaining flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and baking soda; gradually beat into the sugar mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Greek Spice Cake
"I made this using gluten free one for one flour and it was moist and delicious!"
"Very good. The spices are just enough to give it good flavor. I used walnuts instead of pecans. Liked it much better."
"I just made the recipe for second time because it's soooo good. I split the recipe into two pans so we could freeze one. The one that went to the freezer didn't get to freeze because we ate the other one so fast. Jim in Amarillo"
"The flavor of the cake was very good."
"So easy to make and my family loved it. I'm about to make the second one this week."