Greek Sloppy Joes
A little feta cheese adds a depth of flavor like no other to a Sloppy Joes recipe. Leftovers make a tasty pita filling. — Sonya Labbe,
West Hollywood, California
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- 6 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8
- minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into
- crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sauce is
- slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Place romaine on roll bottoms; top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with
- feta cheese; replace tops. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 335 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 767 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.