Greek Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- 6 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
Place romaine on roll bottoms; top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese; replace tops.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich equals 335 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 767 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.