- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- 6 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
Place romaine on roll bottoms; top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese; replace tops.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Greek Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"Not a keeper. Tasted like spaghetti with meat sauce on a bun, so the feta did very little to the overall taste."
"This was great. It was a bit too much tomato sauce. I added more garlic and pepper. Very tasty. Very easy!"
"I used ground lamb instead, greek oregano and grilled pita. Great recipe !"
"Pretty good. I used a pre-made (homemade) pizza sauce instead of the tomato sauce and oregano, which made it even simpler, if that were possible. The feta is a nice touch."
"So deliciously simple. I also added about a tablespoon of Worcester sauce. This will definitely be making it back to my dinner table."