- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chopped romaine
- 6 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
Place romaine on roll bottoms; top with meat mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese; replace tops.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Greek Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"I made this because I happened to have the ingredients and it seemed simple. This was very easy and quick but it was also excellent. I added a dash of hot pepper sauce and a tsp of brown sugar."
"This was a great weeknight meal, which only took about 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish. The feta cheese is what makes this for me - otherwise I tend to agree that it tastes like spaghetti sauce. Next time I'll add some garlic and maybe some souvlaki seasoning to amp up the Greek flavor. Still a great base recipe to keep as is or make it your own!"
"Not a keeper. Tasted like spaghetti with meat sauce on a bun, so the feta did very little to the overall taste."
"This was great. It was a bit too much tomato sauce. I added more garlic and pepper. Very tasty. Very easy!"
"I used ground lamb instead, greek oregano and grilled pita. Great recipe !"