Greek Shrimp Orzo Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups pitted Greek olives
- 1. Cook orzo according to package directions; rinse in cold water and drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Add basil and 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat and set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute shallot in butter and remaining oil until tender. Add the diced tomatoes, oregano and garlic; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add shrimp and sun-dried tomatoes; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the orzo mixture, cheese and olives. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Greek Shrimp Orzo
"This was good. I liked the idea of pairing orzo with shrimp. I did make a couple of minor changes based on personal taste, and the next time I make this I will probably experiment a bit more, but overall, it's a good, solid recipe.I found that following the directions made much more orzo than my family cared for (shrimp to orzo ratio), so I would just use 1 cup of uncooked orzo next time I make it. Also, if I am going to put it in the crock pot again, I would definitely under cook the orzo. (This recipe can be made without using the crock pot, if desired.)Since I had dried Mediterranean basil on hand, I used that where basil was called for, and because my family likes a lot of herbs and spices, I increased the amount to 1 T. In addition to the oregano that is included in the recipe, I added 1 T. of Greek Seasoning as I had it on hand. It added a lot to the overall flavor, in my opinion.Though I love sun dried tomatoes, they seemed to get lost in this recipe. That may have been due to the fact that 1 can of diced tomatoes didn't seem sufficient for the amount of orzo that was called for, so I added a second can. I also decided to add the feta on top of the dish after it was prepared, (as I do on all my other Greek dishes) rather than to cook it in the crock pot. Next time I will cook it in with the other ingredients, as the recipe calls, to try it that way.So a few minor tweaks to an easy and different recipe. Thanks for sharing this! Wish your name was listed."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.