Greek Shrimp Orzo Recipe
One of our favorite dishes, Greek Shrimp Orzo is delicious, satisfying and reheats well. My husband would rather have “the orzo dish” than go out to eat. Serve it with crusty bread and salad.
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1-1/2 cups pitted Greek olives
- Cook orzo according to package directions; rinse in cold water and drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Add basil and 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute shallot in butter and remaining oil until tender. Add the diced tomatoes, oregano and garlic; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add shrimp and sun-dried tomatoes; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the orzo mixture, cheese and olives. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Greek Shrimp Orzo in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2012, p56
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Greek Shrimp Orzo(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review