Greek Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 5-1/2 cups cubed eggplant (about 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Place eggplant in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash potatoes with sour cream and butter; set aside.
- 3. Rinse eggplant and drain well. Sprinkle with flour and toss to coat. In a skillet, cook eggplant in oil over medium heat until browned and oil is absorbed. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish.
- 4. In the same skillet, cook lamb and turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, onion, parsley and seasonings. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Pour over eggplant; sprinkle with feta cheese. Spread mashed potatoes over the top.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until top begins to brown. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 736 calories, 39 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 1,302 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.