I turned my favorite sandwich into a pizza. It's great for lunch or dinner but don't forget it when you're having a bunch of people over. It makes a great appetizer, too. —Marion McNeill, Mayfield Heights, Ohio
Recommended: 15 Ways to Make Pizza on the Grill
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (19 ounces) Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 whole pita breads
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 cup refrigerated tzatziki sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up sausage into large crumbles; drain.
- Meanwhile, place pita breads on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned and almost crisp.
- Top pita breads with sausage mixture, tomatoes, avocado and cheese. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until heated through. Top with cucumbers; drizzle with tzatziki sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Greek Sausage Pita Pizzas in TasteofHome.com 2017