Greek Sandwich Bites Recipe
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the spinach; cook and stir until wilted. Drain. Stir in the feta, pine nuts, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- 2. Spread over four bread slices; top with remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until bread is browned and cheese is melted, turning once. Cut each sandwich into quarters. Yield: 16 appetizers.
1 appetizer: 87 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 1 fat
Reviews for Greek Sandwich Bites
"VERY GOOD!!!! I only made 1 sandwish for lunch to try it and believe me, I WILL BE MAKING THIS AGAIN!!! I wouldn't change a thing but I think you would definitely have to use more olive oil (I added as much as I felt I needed and used at least 1 tbsp just for the 1 sandwish (4 servings)). I think this would be good if shredded rotisserie chicken or real bacon bits were added too!"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer