Greek Salad with Bean Spread Pitas Recipe
- 3/4 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sliced green olives with pimientos
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped marinated quartered artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons sliced Greek olives
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 1. Place the first five ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the spinach, cucumber, cheese, artichokes, olives and oregano.
- 3. Spread bean mixture into pita halves; add salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
1 filled pita half equals 292 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 687 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.