Greek Salad with Bean Spread Pitas Recipe
- 3/4 cup canned garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sliced green olives with pimientos
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped marinated quartered artichoke hearts
- 2 tablespoons sliced Greek olives
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 1. Place the first five ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the spinach, cucumber, cheese, artichokes, olives and oregano.
- 3. Spread bean mixture into pita halves; add salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
1 filled pita half: 292 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 7g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.