Greek Pitas Recipe
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 cup diced peeled cucumber
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/4 pounds lean boneless pork, thinly sliced
- 6 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, dill and seasoned salt; cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, oregano and thyme; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a large skillet, stir-fry pork for about 4 minutes or until juices run clear. Stuff into pita halves; top with cucumber sauce, tomato and onion. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Greek Pitas(6)
Sort By :
This is a staple at our house! Sometimes I buy the pork loin, slice it, put the marinade on it & freeze it. That much quicker & ready to go when I do cook it! I also like to serve it w/ Armenian Pilaf. Excellent recipe!
I followed the recipe exactly and the sauce tastes nothing like tzatziki sauce....I don't know if it should say greek yogurt instead of plain yogurt or it needs more ingredients or what....but I tried making the sauce 2 different nights then just ended up going to buy pre-made sauce at the store. Also, you have to cook the onions with the meat- throwing them in there raw is gross.
Great recipe for one of those nights when you don't have time to get dinner on the table. Because you marinate the meat and make the sauce ahead of time, the actual prep time at dinner was about as long as it takes to se the table!
I'm not a fan of raw onions, so I thew 1/2 cup of sliced onions in with the meat and cooked them together. It turned out great! We will definitely be having this again!
I used lamb instead of pork and this turned out yummy. I really liked the dill sauce it had great flavor. I will be making this again for my family, it was a hit!
More Recipe Collections
- Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >