- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- In a large skillet, cook beef and lamb over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the onion, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and thyme. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions; drain. Stir into meat mixture.
Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Greek Pasta Bake
"I LOVE greek food! I LOVED this recipe for something different to eat. It almost tasted like a gyro with pasta. Now my husband wants lamb all the time!!"
"Can this be frozen like a OAMC recipe?"
"This is one of my favorite dinners and the leftovers are good too!"
"Three of four kids loved it. Easy to make, I already had the ingredients on hand (I subbed ground beef for the lamb, making it a whole pound). Not too difficult for a weeknight and smelled delicious!"
"Just made this and we loved it. I baked it at 350 and cut the time down a little. I used whole wheat penne. Loved the cinnamon taste. We sprinkled it with parmesan. It was yummy."