Greek Pasta Bake Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and lamb over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the onion, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and thyme. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions; drain. Stir into meat mixture.
Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 316 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 840 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Reviews for Greek Pasta Bake
"I LOVE greek food! I LOVED this recipe for something different to eat. It almost tasted like a gyro with pasta. Now my husband wants lamb all the time!!"
"Can this be frozen like a OAMC recipe?"
"This is one of my favorite dinners and the leftovers are good too!"
"Three of four kids loved it. Easy to make, I already had the ingredients on hand (I subbed ground beef for the lamb, making it a whole pound). Not too difficult for a weeknight and smelled delicious!"
"Just made this and we loved it. I baked it at 350 and cut the time down a little. I used whole wheat penne. Loved the cinnamon taste. We sprinkled it with parmesan. It was yummy."
"My son and husband loved this recipe. Would suggest using wholewheat pasta for less fat option :)"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.