Greek Pasta Bake Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups uncooked rigatoni or large tube pasta
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and lamb over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the onion, garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and thyme. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions; drain. Stir into meat mixture.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 316 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 840 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.