This delightfully different casserole gives everyday macaroni and cheese an international flavor. A co-worker who's a pro at Greek cooking shared the recipe years ago. It brings raves whenever I serve it. -Dorothy Bateman, Carver, Massachusetts
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain macaroni and place in a large bowl. Stir in egg and cheese; set aside.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and cinnamon until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Stir in cheese.
- In a greased 3-qt. baking dish, spread half of the macaroni mixture. Top with beef mixture and remaining macaroni mixture. Pour sauce over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Greek Pasta and Beef in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p33
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Greek Pasta and Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review