Greek Orzo Salad Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 12 pitted ripe or Greek olives, halved
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Cook orzo according to package directions; drain. In a large serving bowl, toss orzo with 2 teaspoons oil.
- 2. In another bowl, combine the onion, parsley, vinegar, oregano, salt, sugar, pepper and remaining oil; pour over orzo and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours. Just before serving, gently stir in tomatoes, cucumber, olives and cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 120 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Greek Orzo Salad
"Very tasty salad. Made as written except I took a suggestion on the onion from ConnieK and only used half. Will definitely make again."
"This is an excellent salad with a lot of flavor from the red wine vinegar and herbs."
"This is so good. I have made it several times now. I took it to work for a potluck during the holidays and everyone loved it. It is easy to make and tastes even better the next day. I did make one change. I thought it had too much onion so I use half the amount of onion called for in the recipe (1/2 a medium red onion instead of a whole one) and it's excellent that way for me."