The dough for this delicious bread is great to work with, making it easy to knead in the olives and feta cheese. The subtle flavor would complement any entree.—Tiffany Hartpence, Lander, Wyoming
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup Greek olives
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, 4 tablespoons oil, sugar, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Sprinkle with cheese and olives; fold and knead lightly until combined. Shape into an 8-in. round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining oil. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across top of loaf. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Originally published as Greek Olive Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p12
Reviews for Greek Olive Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2015
"What a beautiful dough! So easy to work with. I even doubled it. Fantastic taste. Will make again often! Thank you!"