"My father and I love Greek food, so we developed this recipe that features feta cheese and olives," explains Melanie Parker of Gloucester, Ontario. "Zesty slices dress up any meal, and leftovers make great salad croutons.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 cup milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 to 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
- In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order
- suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust
- color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine
- directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2
- tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal
- this), add the olives. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: One slice (prepared with fat-free milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt and feta cheese) equals 114 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.