I invented this recipe while watching a movie set on the Greek islands. I like the combination of warm grilled steak and sauteed mushrooms with cold salad ingredients. —Chris Wells, Lake Villa, Illinois
Featured In: 32 Must-Try Summer Dinners for Two
- 1 boneless beef top loin steak (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon A.1. steak sauce
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sherry or chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 10 pitted Greek olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette
- Rub steak on both sides with steak sauce; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until golden brown. Add the sherry, salt and pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes longer or until liquid is evaporated. Set aside and keep warm.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Divide salad greens between two plates. Top with tomatoes, cucumber, olives, onion, steak and mushrooms. Sprinkle with cheese. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Greek Islands Steak Salad in Taste of Home June/July 2010, p37
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Greek Islands Steak Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review