Greek-Inspired Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1/2 cup Greek olives, pitted and halved
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat Greek or Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, spinach, cheese, tomatoes, beans, cucumber, pepperoncini and olives. Pour 1/2 cup dressing over quinoa mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 3. Just before serving, drizzle remaining dressing over salad; toss to coat. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 184 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 lean meat.