Greek Holiday Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add 2 eggs; beat well. Beat in orange juice and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll dough into 1-1/4-in. balls. Shape each into a 6-in. rope; fold in half and twist twice. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the remaining eggs; brush over dough. Bake at 350° for 7-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 157 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Greek Holiday Cookies
"My husband is Greek and LOVES when his grandmother makes these. I tried out this recipe for him - VERY pleased with the results; he said they're just as good as hers! I put a little red and green sprinkle-sugar on the before baking (just like Yia Yia does), since I made them for Christmas. Cookies are not too sweet, kind of like a shortbread but not as hard/dry."
"I love these cookies!! They are best right from the oven. I use real butter with these. They are a soft cookie and will stay that way."