Greek Holiday Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add 2 eggs; beat well. Beat in orange juice and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll dough into 1-1/4-in. balls. Shape each into a 6-in. rope; fold in half and twist twice. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, beat the remaining eggs; brush over dough. Bake at 350° for 7-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Greek Holiday Cookies
Sort By :
My husband is Greek and LOVES when his grandmother makes these. I tried out this recipe for him - VERY pleased with the results; he said they're just as good as hers! I put a little red and green sprinkle-sugar on the before baking (just like Yia Yia does), since I made them for Christmas. Cookies are not too sweet, kind of like a shortbread but not as hard/dry.
I love these cookies!! They are best right from the oven. I use real butter with these. They are a soft cookie and will stay that way.