Margaret Wilson of Hemet, California makes a Greek-style sandwich by spreading a loaf of bread with hummus, veggies, seasonings and feta cheese. With plenty of garden-fresh flavors and a hearty bean spread that packs protein, this stacked submarine makes a satisfying meal-in-one.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (8 ounces) unsliced French bread
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 medium cucumber, sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 lettuce leaves
- For hummus, in a food processor, combine the lemon juice, oil and beans; cover and process until smooth. Stir in the garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Slice bread in half horizontally. Carefully hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Spread hummus into shell. Layer with the red peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, onion, olives, cheese and lettuce. Replace bread top. Cut into four portions. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Greek Hero in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p10
Reviews for Greek Hero
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review