Greek Garden Salad with Dressing Recipe
“My Italian-American mother and Syria-American father merged their skills to create this delicious salad. We still grow most of the ingredients and serve this often,” writes Weda Mosellie from Phillipsburg, New Jersey.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 3 cups torn romaine
- 1 plum tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/3 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 6 pitted ripe or Greek olives
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh mint or 1/8 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Dash each salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1. In a large serving bowl, combine the first nine ingredients.
- 2. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, oil, garlic, cilantro, water, mint, oregano, lemon peel, salt and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 90 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC