This is a wonderful dish for a Sunday brunch or cut into 6 pieces and freeze to have a quick and easy breakfast any day of the week. I also like to make it with broccoli, carrots, green onions, Candian bacon and sharp cheddar cheese; the variations are endless! —Lauri Knox, Pine, Colorado
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 6 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper and shallot over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain. Transfer mixture to an 8-in.-square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with artichokes, broccoli and sun-dried tomatoes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, milk and seasonings until blended; pour over top. Sprinkle with feta.
Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Cool baked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake casserole, as directed until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Greek Breakfast Casserole in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2014
Reviews for Greek Breakfast Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review