A local fast-food pita restaurant inspired me to make my own Greek-style sandwiches at home. Add olives if you like. —Nancy Sousley, Lafayette, Indiana
Featured In: Restaurant Recipes You Can Make at Home
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 4 whole pita breads, warmed
- Additional chopped tomatoes and cucumber, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, tomato, cucumber, dill and remaining salt. Spoon 3/4 cup beef mixture over each pita bread; top with 3 tablespoons yogurt sauce. If desired, top with additional tomatoes and cucumbers. Serve with remaining yogurt sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Greek Beef Pitas in Simple & Delicious April/May 2014
Reviews for Greek Beef Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 30, 2014
"I have not made this as of yet. I will very soon. to much other's to do. love ALL your res. scotty."