A local fast-food pita restaurant inspired me to make my own Greek-style sandwiches at home. Add olives if you like. —Nancy Sousley, Lafayette, Indiana
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 4 whole pita breads, warmed
- Additional chopped tomatoes and cucumber, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, tomato, cucumber, dill and remaining salt. Spoon 3/4 cup beef mixture over each pita bread; top with 3 tablespoons yogurt sauce. If desired, top with additional tomatoes and cucumbers. Serve with remaining yogurt sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Greek Beef Pitas in Simple & Delicious April/May 2014
Reviews for Greek Beef Pitas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review