After clipping granola recipes for years, Jonie Daigle in Greensburg, Pennsylvania chose her favorite ingredients from each one, added a few of her own and came up with this tasty version she calls “the greatest”! You’re sure to agree. JONIE’S TIP: “Try different combinations of dried fruit, nuts and flavored yogurt for a variety of interesting blends.”
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Yogurt flavor of your choice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, Grape-Nuts and almonds. Spread onto a greased, foil-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Coat mixture with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 300° for 20 minutes, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the honey, oil and brown sugar. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and cinnamon.
- Stir cereal and wheat germ into oat mixture. Drizzle with honey mixture; stir to coat. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Break granola into pieces. Sprinkle with apricots and cranberries and mix well. Store in an airtight container. Serve with yogurt if desired. Yield: about 8 cups.
Originally published as Greatest Granola in Simple & Delicious September/October 2007, p46
Reviews for Greatest Granola
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review