- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- In a large bowl, beat first five ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cake mix and drizzle with butter. Top with walnuts.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forGreat Pumpkin Dessert
"This was very tasty and easy. I used half the sugar and half the butter, which was perfect--not too sweet and fewer calories."
"I did not add the cup of sugar, it was plenty sweet without it."
"Great easy recipe and tasted great."
"Super simple and super delicious!! Love this and so does everyone I serve it to! Have made this several times already and sometimes have added coarsely crushed gingersnaps on top before baking - so good!!"
"What a wonderful (and easy) recipe! I had some frozen pumpkin puree that I made last Fall and decided to use that instead of canned.... so, I used 2 cups of pumpkin puree instead of the 15 ounce can .... I also used just 2 eggs (that's all I had!) ....... I used light brown sugar instead of white and only 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. The final change I made?? I used a spice cake mix instead of yellow cake as I had that cake mix on hand. I must say, the end result was VERY tasty ..... a very nice layer on the bottom of pumpkin (almost like pumpkin pie) topped with a thin layer of cake (with some crunchy spots...), finished off with the richness from the butter and the crunch of the walnuts.... This will definitely be on my list of things to make for the Holidays."
"So many good reviews thought this would be a winner. Wrong. It was horrible. The pumpkin base was missing something. The cake mix never turned into cake. It was just dry powdered cake mix. (actually making the batter would've been better). Good thing we even sprinkled praline and peanuts on top so somewhat edible. Ice cream too."