Great Northern Bean Stew
This thick and hearty stew is sure to chase the winter chills away.Mildred Sherrer, Fort Worth, Texas
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 11 ingredients. Bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender.
- Stir in parsley; cook 5 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 274 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 937 mg sodium,