Great Northern Bean Stew Recipe
This thick and hearty stew is sure to chase the winter chills away.—Mildred Sherrer, Fort Worth, Texas
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the next 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in parsley; cook 5 minutes longer.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 274 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 937 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Great Northern Bean Stew
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC