Great Granola Recipe
Granola goes glam when stowed in a see-through container decked out with tinsel. Nuts, dried fruit and more make a crunchy mix for topping oatmeal or eating by the handful. Tie on mini holiday bulbs fancied up with a metallic paint. —Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:14 servings
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (7 ounces) dried fruit bits
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the honey, brown sugar, syrup, wheat germ, oil and cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over the oat mixture and toss to coat.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool completely on a wire rack. Stir in fruit bits. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 7 cups.
1/2 cup equals 264 calories, 12 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC