Great-Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
This recipe—a favorite of my husband's—goes back to my great-grandmother. At Christmastime, we use colored sugar for a festive touch.
- 1-1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups chopped raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional granulated sugar or colored sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in water. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture, and mix well. Stir in oats, raisins and walnuts.
- 2. On a surface sprinkled with additional sugar or colored sugar, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters in desired shapes. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until set, 12-15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 12 dozen.
1 cookie: 63 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Great-Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC