- 1-1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups chopped raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional granulated sugar or colored sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in water. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture, and mix well. Stir in oats, raisins and walnuts.
- On a surface sprinkled with additional sugar or colored sugar, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutters in desired shapes. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until set, 12-15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 12 dozen.
Originally published as Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p46
Reviews for Great-Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review