Great-Grandma's Lemon Cake Recipe
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- Confectioners' sugar
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Add to creamed mixture and beat well. Stir in lemon peel and juice. Combine flour and baking soda; add alternately with milk. In another bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into two well-greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 325° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust tops with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 2 cakes (24 servings).
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Great-Grandma's Lemon Cake(1)
Sort By :
Quite a nice cake but not lemony enough. I added twice the amount of lemon peel & juice too,. Drizzled lemon juice mixed with sugar over the top as soon as it came out of the oven- made it lovely & moist on the top but slightly dry underneath.