Great Grain Salad Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2/3 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/2 cup salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1/2 cup each golden raisins, chopped dried apricots and dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2/3 cup walnut oil
- 2/3 cup raspberry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add barley and wild rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-65 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, cook basmati rice according to package directions. Cool barley and rices to room temperature.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the almonds, sunflower kernels, pumpkin seeds, dried fruit, parsley and orange peel; add barley and rices.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 368 calories, 22 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Reviews for Great Grain Salad
"I added some quinoa and wheat berries and used Newman's Lite Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette. Thanks, Rachel for a great inspiration."
"I made this exactly the way written, even shared with neighbors and they all loved it too."