Great Grain Pilaf Recipe
Bored with boiled rice? Try this fun pilaf from Joyce Graves of Sterling Heights, Michigan. "This pilaf is mild tasting and a great way to include fiber in your diet," writes Joyce. "Because I like experimenting with different grains, I buy at a bulk food store. Being able to purchase just the amount you need for a recipe is a real advantage."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender. Add the rice, bulgur and barley; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- 2. Gradually stir in the broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until grains are tender and broth is absorbed. Stir in parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (2/3 cup) equals 154 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC