Great Grain Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 12 sandwich rolls, optional
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the rice, bulgur, seasoning blend, poultry seasoning and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; cool completely. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, oats, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and onion. In a blender, process cottage cheese and egg substitute until smooth; add to the mushroom mixture. Stir in the parsley, salt, basil, celery seed and chilled rice mixture. Shape 1/2 cupfuls into patties.
- 3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook four patties in 1 teaspoon oil for 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and crisp. Repeat with remaining patties and oil. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
One cooked patty equals 126 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 286 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.